Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Why Fish Tanks?

The Chinese believe keeping fish will bring you good luck. I am not a big believer in luck. I believe hard work and putting yourself out there creates luck. Never the less, keeping fish has always been something I have just flat out loved doing.

The roots of my fish keeping go way back. Like most I had the carnival prize goldfish that we took home and raised. Honestly I was too young to pin point exactly how or why we got the fish. I just remember that it's name was Dibloon. (like the gold coins you'd find in a treasure chest.) My dad named him and took care of the tank. I guess you could say he was the reason I got into tanks.

It's funny to think about it now. When I was probably 5 I remember on the weekends my dad would do water changes. I'm not talking about 25%. He would have me hold the door for him while he lugged the entire tank out the garage and dumped out the whole thing. Yep, 100% water changes that probably killed all of the good bacteria and certainly stressed out the fish. I do remember he always told me to make sure we used the Dechlorinator though...a lesson I have failed to remember on occasion.

I think I like the idea of raising something and caring for it. May be it is because I was born on January 24th, which make me an Aquarius. I've always loved water, lake and oceans.

Here's the main reason I keep tanks and have so damn many. They make me happy. I read in a book that you should try to do something you love for 20 minutes a day. I know I love fishtanks so that is how I spend my 20 minutes. Actually. I probably average about 20 minutes a day with them coincidentally. On the weekends, well that's another story. I don't feel like it's even a good weekend if I don't by something for my tanks.

But there is a great reward with the tanks. There are cumulative games. My work pays off. I have a buddy who keeps a pretty sick reef tank. He thinks I'm nuts and asks me how I keep up with all of them. I simply like keeping up with them. I can see the fruits of my labor when I am done messing with them. I started getting into this whole blogging thing so I can share them with more people who are in to them. Nothing is cooler then having a stranger come across your stuff and say it's sweet.

This might be out there to some, but. I am also a believer in Yin and Yang energy. I teach a Qi Gong class twice a week too. (its out of the scope of this blog, but Qi Gong is the balancing of one's Yin and Yang energy.) I burn up all of my Yin energy worrying about work, selling, cold calling and in general...hustling with my brain and mouth. Nothing creative about it.

With tanks I get to express myself in an artistic way. My Yang energy is working. I get my hands in my tanks and I almost instantly feel better. It is release I have found. Trust me, It's WAY healthier and safer then a few other hobbies I used to have.

So here's the bottom line. Fishtanks are something I love. If you dig what I'm posting let me know. If you have a question PLEASE ask away, I'll give you my best answer and if your lucky a video with some kind of example...

No comments:

Post a Comment