Friday, February 12, 2010

1st look at 90 Gallon moved into a 75...much better



This was taken in December about three months after I tore everything out of my 90 and moved it into the basement. Less IS MORE. The 90 was too big and deep to light, plus it was hard to do waterchanges upstairs. Now that it is in my basement, waterchanges are a breeze. See I have an RO unit down stairs and a few giant tubs. The old rule still holds true. The easier it is to do maintence, the more it will get done. That is no expection here.

When I moved into the 75 I asked one of the local Sensais of fishkeeping in town to help me and talk about it. He told me of a technique of just doing hardly any substrate at all. I asked him what he would do and he said just that. So that's what I did. I also really beefed up the amount of powerheads as well. You can see one pointing right off of the front glass. There are I think 4 total in the tank.

I like this tank because it has ZERO filter on it. That's right. All I do is 20% waterchanges with reef crystals salt every other week. I also add calcium every other day or so. I have been using Kalkawasser lately. Although I have also have great success with Seachem's Liquid Calcium. I think Kalkawasser is better, but its also more work.

One of the things I am most proud of with this salt set up is the PURPLE. I think I have found the formula for coraline algae. It's Calcium. The 20% water changes are huge too.

The big anemone looking thing is a Torch Coral. I bought it for 15 bucks when it was just two heads. It's an easy coral to keep and it's been rewarding. Too bad He-Ronnie (my 4 year old clown fish's name) always tries to lay in it...He and "Ronda-Pauline" are good buddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment