Monday, March 8, 2010

Gold Fish Love

Gold Fish Rule. Plain and simple. They are hardy and have great personality and colors. It's funny because I love my rainbows and they are skinny and fast. I've also always loved nice fat fantail goldfish.

When I was about 13 I bought my first big tank. (big to a 13 year old is a 29 ;) I kept my ever growing comets and fantails in there. I also had a golden dojo loach which I would like to get another of. (The loach and the goldies got along, who knew?)

So I pumped up because yesterday I was out poking around in my ABOVE ground garden pond outside. The thing with this pond is that it sits above ground. So theoretically the water could entirely freeze because it doesn't have the natural insulation that normal in ground ponds have. So why am I pumped?

Well I didn't take out one of my boys this year and yesterday I spotted him swimming around! I was trying to take him out in December but he was hiding. I said, "alright dude, good luck." He made it.

What is also even more encouraging is that I spotted a baby today as well! So I have a second generation of goldfish rolling into this summer. Actually, this would be the second generation as I had one make it of a batch I had last year as well. (though he isn't as sexy as the ones this batch.) This makes me unafraid of leaving them in, but my problem is myself... I wanna enjoy them in the winter!

I'd like to back up and discuss how this breeding happened. I would have to say that the heavy almost 90% water changes that I did early in the summer almost weekly helped. NOTE: I did these water changes to get the muck outta the pond. Not intending to breed fish. I am excited for this summer as I am going to attempt to breed for specific types of fish. RYUKINS. Oh yeah baby, ryukins are my style. I love their high bodies and red colors. So that's the plan....too bad it's March!

1 comment:

  1. As I read the latest blog about gold fish I attracted toward this. Really nice blogging. The theme of your blog is even more beautiful.

    Pond Pumps

    ReplyDelete